Sunday, March 16, 2014

Irish hat



There are signs of life in our garden. This is the cold frame that Oz built and it works so well that lettuce and rosemary plants overwintered and lived. Look at all the green! Oz and I have been working in the garden cleaning things up. It feels good to be outside and working in the garden again.

I have also finished a new hat based on the Aran jumper design. I have a few books on this type of knitting and here is a bit from Wikipedia :: (Irish Gaelic: Geansaí Árann) is a style of jumper that takes its name from the Aran Islands off the west coast of Ireland. It is sometimes known as a fisherman's jumper. A classical fisherman's jumper is a bulky garment with prominent cable patterns on the chest, often cream-coloured.

I decided not to use a cable this time but knit a decorative checkerboard pattern instead. I used 100% wool yarn (Aran) from Maggie's Farm. It turned out so well and would be a perfect size for a young girl or teenager. I'm working on another hat with the same pattern but it will fit an adult.

1 comment:

  1. sweet little cap!

    and you are thinking green-and-growing!
    still have snow on the ground here, but i *do* have three tomato plants on my south-facing sewing/studio table….they are practicing tropism….

    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love the hear from my readers ~ please leave a comment.